Simple Red Velvet

I recently had a friend frantically call me because she needed to make red velvet cake and she refuses to try things from scratch and she wanted to know how to convert a box mix into red velvet....if you must commit the cardinal baking sin of using a box mix to make red velvet here is how you can:

1 white/yellow cake mix
the ingredients listed on the mix box
4T cocoa powder (the darker the better)
1 oz. red food coloring (it sounds intense but if you don't use enough you will have pink velvet)

mix the cake as instructed, mix the cocoa powder with the food coloring and add the paste to the cake mix and bake as instructed. Fait attention (be careful), the red will find away to ruin your favorite outfit so wear an apron, and yes I am speaking from experiences. If you are making cupcakes, a simple way to cut down on mess and contribute to consistency is to use an ice cream scoop with an ejection lever to scoop out the batter into the cups like so: (the photos you are now seeing are not a cake mix)


1 comment:

Fletch said...

Monica! I am so late posting mary & brandon's wedding to my blog, but I finally have-- and i wanted to know do you want me to email you some of the photos i took of you & the cake and your hubby? I can't remember if i ever did... shoot me an email and I can get that done this weekend! xo- sarah

www.sarahfletcherphoto.com (website)
www.sarahfletcherphoto.squarespace.com (blog)

sarah@sarahfletcherphoto.com (email)