Summer's Simplicities: Strawberry Sugar Cookies

The thing I love most about summer is food. Shocker I know. I love corn on the cob, deep redtomatoes that give you goose bumps as their perfectly ripe fullness of flavor dances across your palette, I love plump berries that burst and soft fuzzy peaches. Recently I wished I could take as long as it does for fruit to ripen to make every dessert, but I cannot and this week I had limited time and needed a treat quick so I whipped up this "Summer Simplicity". You simply take your favorite sugar cookie recipe (mine is below) and add 1c. fresh strawberries finely diced. For this recipe the cookies puff a bit more and they are best if eaten day-of. Instead of a thick frosting I glazed them with a mixture of: confectionary sugar, milk, and almond extract (for a tarter cookie use fresh lime juice or lemon juice place of the milk and extract and top with a little zest)


3/4 c. butter
1t vanilla
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 c. flour
1t salt
1 c. fresh diced strawberries

cream butter, vanilla, and sugar for 3 min. add eggs one by one, then add flour salt, add the berries last giving them a quick pulse on high in the mixer to break them up just a bit more. bake at 400 for about 8 min. allow to cool and glaze.

No comments: