Chocolate Marshmallows

After returning from the baking bliss in Utah I started on my own holiday baking here in MD, this always includes chocolate marshmallows. I don't like chocolate, and I am not in love with marshmallows but for some reason I think this combination is sheer delight.
There are many recipes out there, some have marshmallow cream others gelatin, I prefer those with gelatin because are a bit stiffer and they have a longer shelf life. The secret to the marshmallow not sticking is to place parchment in the bottom of your elected pan and then sift in a light layer of a 1:1 mixture of cornstarch and confectioners sugar. The cornstarch absorbs the moisture and the sugar counteracts the chalky texture of the starch. For the chocolate mallows I also add an equal part of dark cocoa powder. Top the mallow with a light dusting of the same mixture and pop them straight into the freezer until you are ready to cut them. (they can stay frozen for weeks and will never get stiff due to the gelatin). After cutting them toss them in the 1:1:1 mixture
tap of excess powder, and they are ready for a party.


2 comments:

Melynn said...

Wow! I have been meaning to try home made mallows. These look great.

Laura Saint-Jean said...

alexis got so excited when you gave us some of those yummy mallows for christmas!