My Mind Wanders






Fall is the season that stirs the most emotion in me. The crisp air smelling of rain stained fallen leaves, the vibrant colors of change so pleasantly enhanced by their blue but frequently gray-sky background. The chill sets in and scarves are taken from boxes in attics or under beds, mittens and sweaters are tried on to make sure they still fit and that the moths haven't gotten to them. Cheeks and noses red peek from under hats, and boots find their way onto feet, a cozy change of pace. My mind ventures 2,000 miles away into my mother Teresa's kitchen: Christmas music playing even though Thanksgiving has not yet passed, laughing so hard your stomach aches, Grandma Lil adding the now dreaded stortening! to her pie crust because that is what she knows, mouthfulls of leftover candy corn not because you particularly like them but because their there as you try the new and perfect the old, accept technology but relish in the nostalgia of being able to feel when the dough is done between your fingers. No machine can do that. Fall is the season that stirs the most emotion in me, my mind ventures 2,000 miles away into my mother's kitchen with my best friends Teresa, Lil, Jennifer, Beth and Hannah.

No comments: